Although it’s not “officially” summer, that doesn’t mean the sun isn’t still strong. No matter what the season is, if the sun is shining and you’re not protected, you’re at risk for a burn. Did you know people who use sunscreen with an SPF of 15+ daily show 24% less skin aging than those who don’t apply daily sunscreen? [Source: Skin Cancer Foundation]. That’s a pretty high number! Did you also know that skin cancer is the most common type of cancer? It is also one of the most preventable types.
I will be the first to admit that applying sunscreen is a huge pain. Not only is it one extra step to do in the morning, but it’s also something you have to reapply throughout the day.
So, with summer around the corner, here are 5 easy tips to help remind you to lather up!
1. Make it a habit: it’s not hard to remember to brush your teeth, right? (I hope it’s not!!!) Try adding in the routine of applying your sunscreen right after you brush your teeth. Make it a habit. It might take a few weeks for the habit to form (apparently it takes 21 days to form a habit), but once you stick with it, it will just become second nature.
2. Use makeup that contains SPF: One of my SPF hacks lies within my makeup. I either use a powder that contains SPF 15, or a tinted moisturizer that has SPF. My go-to’s include Pür 4-in-1 Pressed Mineral Foundation, Beauty Counter’s Dew Skin and NARS Tinted Moisturizer.
3. Have more than one bottle: Ladies (and maybe men), how many of you have at least one lip product in each of your bags, your car, different drawers, etc.? If you’re like me, I have way too many lip products…and they’re in a variety of places so that I always have one on hand. Make this a thing with your sunscreen. Have more than one bottle and keep a couple in different spots so that you can easily have it on hand when it comes to re-applying.
4. Use quality products: The greasy feeling of some sunscreen is such a gross feeling – that’s why it’s common to forgo reapplication or even application in the first place. Look for products that are packed with quality ingredients. Most often, sun screen products that are formulated with good-for-your-skin ingredients won’t leave your skin feeling layered with sunscreen. A few of my favourite brands include: The Sunscreen Company, LASPA (a Canadian company with 100% naturally sourced ingredients), Alumier and Coola.
5. Keep your sunscreen in plain view: Do you have a few necessity items next to your bathroom sink? Or maybe on your dresser? Add your sunscreen to that collection. Stop putting your sunscreen back in the cabinet after you use it – just keep it out. If you see it, it will help to remind you to apply.