It’s Sunday night and the weekend is coming to an end. Who’s starting to feel the Monday blues? I used to get really bad cases of the Monday blues. On Sundays my anxiety would rev up, I’d feel moody and I would dread the idea of having to get up to go to school/work. I’m so glad those days are over.
After finding my perfect fit in a job that I love, learning how to meditate, taking better care of my body and becoming more mindful, the Monday blues disappeared – and let me tell you, it’s a great feeling to not have to worry about Mondays. I actually love Mondays now. They’re the beginning to a new week, a fresh start and a new mindset.
But let’s be real. I still sometimes wish that the weekends would be extended and that I could have an extra day to sleep in and hang out. When I do feel that stress of a new week around the corner I make sure I listen to the fact that I’m stressed and I take action. One of the best ways to cap off a good weekend and de-stress is a bath. I love a good bath when I need to de-stress and breathe. It’s the perfect way to melt away your worries and treat yourself.
Here are my five favourite elements for the perfect bath.
1. Epsom salts: I’m a fan of the scented salts – like lavender or eucalyptus. Epsom salts are a great detox for the body, a good source of magnesium, help reduce pain and inflammation and they reduce stress. If you can’t find the scented salts, try adding a few drops of essential oils…which leads me to my next item.
2. Music: Maybe you need to help distract your mind from thinking about your to-do list and what you could be doing instead of having a bath. Sometimes I’ll pop on a classical YouTube playlist on my phone, set it under a towel on the floor and voila…relaxation. I’m also a huge fan of Enya when I want to relax…so chill and calming.
3. A fancy soap: Why not treat yourself to a nice soap? Your skin deserves the best…especially since it’s your largest organ. I like L’Occitane En Provence Extra Gentle Soap in lavender. It smells so lovely and is very gentle on the skin. It’s moisturizing and the bar lasts a long time. Definitely worth the extra $$$.
4. Candles: Setting the right mood for a bath is key. I hate having a bath with all the lights on…it makes me feel exposed and I have a hard time relaxing. I wish we had a dimmer in the bathroom, but turning off the lights and lighting a few candles helps set the mood too.
5. Essential oils: Essential oils are one of my favourite things to help soothe the mind and de-stress. They smell so good and make me feel awesome. My favourite oil in the bath is eucalyptus. It clears the sinuses and reminds me of the spa. Have any of you ever been to Ste. Anne’s Spa? They have a eucalyptus steam room…it’s aaaamazing.
6. Magazines: If you hate sitting in solitude (in silence or with music), another great way to distract your mind is to flip through a magazine. My favourite magazines for a bath are ones with lots of pictures. Mags that I don’t have to focus on the words. I love a good decor or food magazine, like Style at Home or Food & Wine.
What are your favourite elements for the perfect bath?