As much as I loved my summers as a kid, there was a part of me that got excited for September so that I could get back into a routine with school. One of the main reasons I loved going back to school was because I loved the feeling of being super organized. I loved (and still love) cracking open a brand new notebook, a pencil-case full of new pencils and starting a brand new agenda. Don’t you remember being so neat with your writing the first few weeks of school? It was a fresh feeling and a fresh start. A new class, with a new teacher and new opportunities. I savoured that feeling all through elementary school, high school and even in university…and then came the real world, the adult life.
Even though I’ve been out of school for a few years, I do still get that excited butterfly in my stomach mid-August, with the anticipation of September. September gives me that boost of motivation to start off fresh. I treat it almost like a new year. I buy an 18-month agenda so I can start it in September, I organize my files and I get back into a routine that fell wayside during the summer.
There are a few things that keep me excited and refreshed in September, and I must say they are essential to me for feeling my best after a couple months of summer.
1. A new agenda. this year I went for Rifle Paper Co. I’m usually a Kate Spade agenda girl, but i couldn’t resist the floral
pattern on this 2017-2018 agenda (in the pattern ‘Herb Garden’. I am so happy I bought it because I love the way it’s laid out and it’s just so cute.
2. Healthy snacks. Let’s face it, everyone falls off the healthy eating bandwagon in the summer. Pitchers of sangria, ice-cream, chips, hamburgers, bottomless bowls of Chicago mix…those foods are summer essentials and I would never say no to overindulging on ice-cream…but by the end of the summer, if you’re like me, it’s ready to get back into gear and off the (what feels like daily) bowls of Kawkartha Dairy. A couple of my favourite go-to, healthier alternative snacks are Hungry Buddha’s Coconut Chips (in chocolate) and Nagi Chocolate Quinoa Coconut. Key word: chocolate.
3. A water bottle. Ok, if you haven’t switched to a glass water bottle…do. it. now. bkr makes an awesome one and I love the different sizes it comes in. if you’re at a desk all day (like me) and don’t have to lug one around, I’d suggest the 1L bottle. Keep it on your desk and keep fillin’ it up!
4. A New haircut. if your parents were like mine, I’d always be in the hair dresser’s chair a couple weeks before school started. A new school year meant a fresh hair cut. I haven’t strayed from that annual appointment…I actually just had mine last Friday.
5. Treat yourself to a fresh mani. Now, back in elementary school I wasn’t getting manicures, but as an adult it’s an essential…and with it being a new month and saying goodbye to summer…I think it’s essential to go into the month with nice nails. Wouldn’t you agree? I was just introduced to CND VINYLUX Weekly Polish and I LOVE it. It lasts for more than seven days and I love how shiny the result is. I’m currently trying out the ‘best of’ collection, which includes: ‘Married to the Mauve’, which is a soft merlot; ‘Rose Bud’, which is a dusty rose; ‘Nude Nnickers’, a warm taupe; and ‘Satin Pajamas’, which is a shimmery, taupe-pink. I also love my visits to THE TEN SPOT…it always feels like a high-end spa session but a whole lot cheaper. I also love their standards…if you haven’t read about them, check them out here.
6. The Five Minute Journal. If you haven’t started a gratitude journal, I’d suggest starting one in September. Look at that, you already have homework! I’ve been loving the am/pm journaling and it honestly takes less than five minutes but gives you a good chance to reflect on what you’re grateful and what happened during your day.
7. Sunscreen. Fall may be weeks away, but the sun is still strong. If you didn’t invest in a good face sunscreen during the summer, it’s not too late. I really love AlumierMD’s Sheer Hydration Sunscreen. It’s not sticky, has an SPF 40, doubles as a moisturizer and it doesn’t leave that white residue that the typical mineral sunscreen leaves behind. It’s an awesome addition to your skincare routine.
8. Notebooks. A brand new notebook is always an essential. New pages for fresh lists.
9. benefit boi-ing hydrating concealer & boi-ing airbrush concealer: A good concealer is a must for me. I’m so grateful that make-up can disguise my dark circles after a late night and hide a blemish during my cycle. I love benefit’s new boi-ing concealer collection for two reasons: 1. they work super well and 2. they are the perfect ‘back to September’ items to keep in your purse. They look like erasers! How cute, eh? I find that a little goes a long way with the airbrush concealer, you don’t need too much and the hydrating concealer is perfect for under the eyes because it doesn’t cause it to cake.
What are some of your September essentials? If you’re interested in winning three of my favourite essentials, check out my Instagram, look for the below photo and enter the contest!