Calling all brides and brides-to-be, this post is for you.
Whether you’re getting married in a year, a few months or a few weeks, the lead up to the big day can at times be stressful. I know this firsthand as this time last year I was in full wedding mode with only two months to go before our big day. September 24th was literally the only thing I thought of. I couldn’t wait to marry the love of my life…but I also couldn’t wait to string together all the little details we had worked so hard on. I was excited to see the full picture come together.
I absolutely loved the wedding planning process but there were definitely times when planning became stressful and overwhelming. There were SO many decisions and so many little things that had to be done. One of the biggest pieces of advice that I got during the planning process was to make sure I took time for myself and to not wear myself too thin. I took this to heart and made sure I took time for myself at least once a day to breathe, relax and de-stress. Self-care is always important…but especially important before a big life event like a wedding!
I tried my best to wake up and do at least 10 minutes of yoga every morning, but there were also a few other routines I practiced (which quite often included my favourites from Saje).
Staying stress-free before the big day:
1. Turn off your phone. How many times do you check your phone per day and how often does it stress you out? Try to go offline for at least an hour a day and forget what’s happening on Instagram, email, text, etc.
2. End the day with a relaxing bath…without your phone! Fill the tub with some relaxing bath salts (like Goddess or Stress Release from Saje), turn on some of your favourite tunes and just breathe. AND, don’t rush your bath, just enjoy it.
3. Wake up with a positive intention. Before getting out of bed in the morning, take three deep breaths and create a positive intention. It could be that you’re going to have a productive day or that you’re going to feel calm and relaxed. Breathe that intention into your whole body and don’t get out of your bed until you’ve got yourself believing how great of a day you’re going to have.
4. Pack your fridge with healthy foods that will help prevent stress (think healthy fats like avocados and nuts; high protein snacks like Greek yogurt; low GI carbs; fresh fruit and sliced veggies).
5. Take time to enjoy an activity that isn’t wedding related. Maybe you like going for scenic walks, sitting in a cafe or playing tennis. Or maybe you just like watching Netflix. Whatever it is, take the time to enjoy time with your partner, friends and/or family without always thinking about the wedding. As exciting as the planning is, sometimes you have to step away from all the planning!
6. Just breathe. If you’re feeling overwhelmed at work or at a family gathering pre-wedding, grab one of your favourite aromatherapy remedies. I love the Stress-Release Tension Reducing Remedy. It’s a good burst of zen when you’re feeling uptight or nervous. It’s also super calming and balancing. I also like the Namaste Uplifting Mist and Rose Hydrating Euphoric Mist. Namaste literally feels like you’re in a yoga studio and Rose is a super feminine, relaxing scent that can help to soothe worries (it’s also a great facial toner).