We had the most beautiful day this past Saturday in Toronto. A super sunny, 22 degrees, blue-sky day without a cloud to be seen. I spent a good chunk of it outside on the golf course and thought I had most of my skin covered in sunscreen, but once I got back inside I realized the back of my legs were scorched. Oops.
It was just a reminder of how easy it can be to get burned…even in the last few weeks before summer officially starts.
With summer officially kicking off in two weeks, I thought I’d share a few sun-safe tips for protecting your precious skin from getting too much sun!
1. SPF 15+: Wear at least SPF 15 (and if you’re super sensitive – like me – wear at least SPF 30). Make sure you apply everywhere! Make sure your whole body is covered! If I know I”m going to be outside for a while, I strip down and apply in the nude (TMI?)…it ensures I don’t miss a spot, and prevents me from getting it on my clothes.
2. 30 minutes before: Make sure you apply your screen 30 minutes before you head outside. You want that stuff totally absorbed before the sun touches your skin.
3. Formulated for the face: I like to use a different sunscreen for my face than my body…one that is formulated especially for the face. Lately I’ve been using COOLA SPF 30 Dawn Patrol Makeup Primer, which is awesome under makeup. It doesn’t feel greasy and doesn’t give makeup that cake-y look that some sunscreens often leave behind…there’s also no residue. When I’m not wearing makeup with my screen, I like COOLA’s SPF 30 Cucumber Matte Finish. No shiny spots and it contains ingredients to help fight free radicals, improve skin elasticity and retain skin’s moisture. It’s also very calming and great for sensitive skin (like mine!).
3. Reapply: Re-application is key, especially if you’re sweating and swimming…but even if you aren’t, just reapply to be safe. Your best bet is to reapply every two to three hours…and immediately after you’re in the water. Don’t risk the burn! One of my favourite types of sunscreen for reapplication purposes is the spray variety. They’re easy to use, don’t require much rubbing and don’t make your hands as sticky. Check out COOLA SPF 30 Pina Colada Sunscreen Spray (it smells AMAZING) and alba SPF 35 Mineral Sunscreen. They’re both non greasy and have great coverage when sprayed….but make sure to shake before spraying to avoid any white patches!
4. Don’t forget your lips: Have you ever had a sunburn on your lips? Isn’t it the most awful feeling? Sore, chapped and stingy. I hate it. I carry around a lip balm with an SPF 15 all summer long. One of my favourite’s is Blistex Daily Conditioning Treatment with SPF 20.
5. Don’t forget your hair: Hair can experience sun damage too. Frizzy, dry, split-end hair is not a pretty sight, nor does it feel great. Protecting your hair against the sun is just as important. If you have a little bit of sunscreen residue remaining on your hands, smooth it onto the ends of your hair. I know it sounds gross, but it works! You can also use UV hair protection products, like Bare-Republic Eco Active UV Protecting Haircare.
Once you’re out of the sun and you want that beachy-wave, one of my favourites to use is artnaturals Sea Salt Spray. It’s lightweight and doesn’t make your hair crunchy…it’s also all natural!
As amazing as the sun is, it’s so important to protect our skin from those harmful rays.